Friday, November 7, 2014

Back in Prague!

Back to Prague for a second conference. New room - better view:
As I haven't documented the breakfasts before, so here we go. A choice of meats, for those that like dead things:
Plums.  Always with the plums.

I believe I have mentioned that Prague is not exactly friendly to the gluten sensitive.  And this is just the pastries - I didn't photography the even larger selection of breads.

Salad for breakfast?  Apparently.

Okay, time, finally, to experiment with the trams.  Here's the schedule. Easy, eh?  But I asked at the Hotel and I wanted tram #9, and a ticket cost 24 crowns ($1) at any tobbacconist

Here I am on board.  Not a comforting sight.  But I've come to the conclusion Prague must be like I Am Legend - if you're out during the day, you're in fact very rule-following and polite.  The mad graffiti artists must appear after dark.

Don't know what this is, but I like it:

This looks similarly Jewish.  But I don't think this is the Jewish Quarter - it's on the non-castle side of the river.  It's just part of Old Town.

I saw this huge statue and wondered who it could be.  Turns out: Woodrow Wilson!  A prophet is not without honor, and all that...

This seems to be the central station.  Sort of seedy and futuristic at the same time.

Here's the seedy part:

A short walk and we're in the really picturesque part:

See?

This was a sort of square that you could only reach by cutting through a mall.  I happened upon it by accident.

These were in the mall.  I think they're chairs.

There are two of these about 1/4 mile apart.  [This is the part of town my hotel was in.]

Again, the seedy is never far away in Prague:

Knick-knackery abounds.

Along with houses made of marzipan: [It's just around the corner from here.]

Lots of windy passages in the old town.  Some (like the one with Mr. Creepy here) are dead ends:

Now there's a fad diet I'd try:

It's easy to get overwhelmed when everywhere looks like this:

I thought I needed to prove I didn't just find these photos at Getty Images or something:

Pause to let the segways past...

..and take one facing the other way:

No comments: