Saturday, June 24, 2017

Traipsing round Florence, part deux

 See that tower?  I WILL CLIMB THAT TOWER!  NOBODY CAN STOP ME!
 But first I have to get there.
 Past the distracting statuary.
 Lions playing football?  Apparently the Lion (along with the Fleur-de-Lys) is a symbol of Florence (or Firenze as those of us in the know say).
 Ouch, that's gotta hoit!  That's the actual title!  Only in Latin.
 This one looks familiar.  My, what big hands you have.
 I'm inside now!  Fancy ceilings.
 After buying a ticket and checking my bag in at the counter, it's UP we go.  This is only the first stage.  Then you have to queue until the same number of people as are in your group comes down from the tower.  A very civilized method that means it's not crowded up there, and people don't get wedged in the narrow staircases.
 Getting higher...
 Peeking out through holes, probably designed to shoot things through
 ...higher...
 Until we reach the top!
 See, I made it - I didn't just give the camera to some urchin and bribe him.
 Pretty, ain't it?  Wait, though - what's that big white thing in front of the building in the top right?
 It's a giant skeleton of course!
 Coming down again...

No comments: