Friday, January 6, 2017

Christmas is officially over (almost)

Today is the day the Christmas tree decorations came down (except for all the lights, ornaments and tinsel on the outdoor tree--I mean, come on, 6 degrees F is just too damn cold to deal with that stuff; but also we left up the lights and tinsel on the fireplace mantel because it looks nice but ASIDE FROM ALL THAT, Christmas is OVER). Simon protested, "Won't Frederick be upset?" Probably not as he adjusts to changes with greater grace than anyone else in the house. Simon then added, "Sylvester won't be happy about it." Well, Sylvester is half the reason the tree looks so sorry and now needs to go. I waited until I was alone in the house so I wouldn't be interrupted (Thomas asleep upstairs doesn't count as he could sleep through a jumbo jet crashing into our backyard) and set to work. And, as Simon predicted, Sylvester was more than curious, he was downright obstructionist. For each stretch of tinsel I pulled off the tree and wound up, he grabbed a mouthful and ran with it as fast as his little legs could carry him. Finally, when I took the last ornament off, I triumphantly crowed to him, "HA! It's done and gone and you'll just have to make do with your non-seasonal toys." Sylvester simply stared at me balefully with half-open eyes. Then, later, as I wrestled with pulling the tree (long past the first stages of rigor mortis) out of the house and onto the porch I noticed this lone badger ornament resting on Sylvester's bed in our sun room:

I know I didn't put it there so who did?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A cat with attitude.

xM