Sunday, July 15, 2018

Coop II, part 3

And so, despite horrific heat and humidity, the work continues...

Here, I am starting on the roof.  We've been promised much needed rain every day for the past two weeks, so I thought I ought to get it started.  Of course, no rain has yet arrived and now last week's storm has been pushed off until Wednesday or even Saturday.  Perhaps we'll never get rain again?  Well, regardless, the chicks will have a roof:
And there it is, a much simpler design than Coop 1, and so easier to make.
And now the face of the coop.  It's a lot less attractive than Coop 1, which featured glass block windows.  But, those were free and I have no more so there you go.  So, rather than fancy glass, I've decided to give these chicks a fancy decorative lintel above the door.  But that's getting ahead of ourselves...
Here is the aluminum flashing flooring--a brain wave if ever there was one, which I had when making Coop 1.  It makes cleaning out the coop a BREEZE.  If I ever get done with Coop 2, I am going to do updates to the duck house and a new aluminum floor will be the first thing I do.
Inside the coop:  Unlike ducks, chickens need roosting bars so here are bar supports.  I'm going to paint the inside of the coop later today and, once the paint is dry (which will take a while since it is very humid today--have I mentioned that the weather is miserable lately?) I'll attach the roost bars, which will finish the interior.
All that remains (structure-wise), is the door frame and the door, complete with a handle, hinges and a latch (possum proof, preferably).  And then move in day.  After they move in, and no longer have to be schlepped back and forth to the garage every night and morning, I can continue to work on the siding and shingles for the roof.  It's relatively peaceful work with the chickens checking up on me every time I do anything.  They have learned to tolerate the drilling and hammering noise, which alarmed them at first.  They also keep a keen on on all changes I make.  The second I leave the chicken run to get something from the garage, they all gather round, pop in and out of the coop (or under, or behind, or around) to see what the latest it all about.  The idea was that the young chicks could move into this house, thus leaving the oldsters to the old coop, in relatively peace.  But the old ones seem to prefer the new coop and all the chicks have been popping in and out of the old coop, tossing about the straw, and giving the nesting boxes a test run.  As long as all hens end up in at least ONE coop every night, and so long as there is no fighting or feather pulling, I don't really care where anyone goes.

No comments: