From that point, things kind of spiral into really complicated weirdness: Paddy meets Nap (they don't know each other up to this point) and become roommates and Nap gets him a job as a journalist for a newspaper that specializes on business and the economy (I guess like the Wall Street Journal) which gives Paddy the excuse to be a Nosy Nelly, poking around businesses and asking impertinant questions. Paddy goes to Mr Britten's work place and sees a guy with one eye coked out of his mind (he's the accountant who generated the suspicious payment slips!) and Mr Britten's supervisor (who is all Crocodile Tears) pretends to care that Mr Britten is dead--until Paddy makes an anti-commie remark and THEN the mask slips!!! Then there is another "suicide" and Paddy is again on the scene--and now the police are decidedly suspicous: why is Paddy relevant to two completlely unrelated suicides? THEN Nap goes to a swanky club run by mobsters and is surprised when they start threatening him--and, just in the nick of time, strangers (who turn out to be undercover detectives who are keeping an eye on the mobsters) cause a scene so Nap can escape before he gets himself killed. At that point, Paddy, Nap and the police are working together. And into all that Nap decides he wants to get married and Paddy decides HE wants to get married and a nurse (Paddy does spend a lot of time in the hospital after getting into fights with strangers when walking home late at night) and a secretary show up and start getting into the mix, playing Nancy Drew and Bess Marvin when the boys, Nap and Paddy, are off being the Hardy Boys:
[That's Bess up front with Nancy, always a red head, in the back, on the left. The blond, I can't remember her name, is their client.]As far as I can tell, the bad guy is a sleeper agent for Russia and is a fanatical communist in London pretending to be a fanatical capitalist so he can (a) accumulate a lot of money while also (b) destroying the frail British economy from the inside, who occasionally partners with Italian-English (NOT Italian immigrants, we are assured) mobsters who (a) monopolize cocaine imports and sales and (b) kill people so it looks like suicide as a side hustle.
I never did understand RICO laws when in law school--I'm not at all surprised that organized crime pays so well in this country because I doubt anyone actually understands where business ends and crime begins--and this novel is just a lengthy case study of two (and sometimes three) organized crime units in London with converging interests and fairly useless police using two hapless ex-army guys as their unwitting undercover agents. I would say the only people who need to read this are those completists who want to know everything that happens in the personal lives of our regular characters.
Meanwhile, after finishing that, I started Gilbert's Crack in the Teacup (published 1966) and it is (so far at least) BRILLIANT--Gilbert in true form. I intended just to read the first few pages to see if it was any good or if I needed to take a break from Gilbert and the next thing I knew it was 2 am and I was on page 122.


No comments:
Post a Comment