I was outside yesterday evening, just at dusk, at noticed this fellow/gal flitting among my echinaceas. According to google, it is a Canadian Tiger Swallowtail and I believe it:
At Thomas's insistance, I planted a butterfly and hummingbird zone in our yard probably 20 years ago and it has always floundered, producing a whole lot of not much. But this year, after doing absolutely nothing for it, it is going great guns: the echinaceas are ridiculously robust--one is over 6' tall!--and a hummingbird vine that has languished ever since we had a deadly freeze a few years ago has decided it has a will to live and has pumped out dozens of blossoms specially designed for hummingbirds ONLY--no bees alllowed. So far I haven't seen any hummingbirds as I don't get up early enough in the morning but what is Simon's excuse, I'd like to know? And, meanwhile, we have this bounty on the Lettuce Grow hydroponic device (which I just topped up with water and nutrients a few days ago and doing absolutely nothing for it for weeks and weeks):




No comments:
Post a Comment