Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hohensalzburg Fortress

Towering over Salzburg is an impressive fortress whose construction was started in the 1100s (I could write guide books, couldn't I?) Obviously I had to visit it. The easy way is to use the "Funicular" (i.e., thing like the one that joins up Lynton and Lynmouth - but unlike that one, they gave up on the water system and it's now electric. Bah, humbug.) Here's where you go in:


Here's a panoramic view from the top. Dontcha just love them? I do!

More spectacular views. If you look carefully, you'll see a golden ball. More on that later.


Falling to your death would be easy. That's Austria for you: life is cheap. I believe that might be an Alp in the background. For the first day, they're actually visible. It's like LA when the wind blows away the smog. Only with Alps.


Feel free to make this your desktop backgroud - I have. Although that person on the right annoys me. Feel free to crop him out.


This is inside (one of) the courtyard(s) - in glorious Panorama-vision (TM).


A place to shoot attackers from. Or cruelly mock them in absurd accents.


And just to prove I didn't just get these pictures from some online tourist brochure (wearing my Xmas present sunglasses from my beloved sister, and hat (and sweater) knitted by beloved mother):


Well, you've got to have cannons otherwise what kind of fortress is it?


I decided to walk down as it was getting a bit crowded:

Last stages:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too picturesque to be true. It must be keeping you well away from the conference.

Jami Anderson said...

So what's the deal with the golden ball?