Out of nowhere appeared this sunflower. I had purchased a very large bag of sunflower seed and tossed them about in March to help the birds make it through a surprise cold snap (after a ridiculous heat wave in February) and, among a million-odd seeds this is the only one that turned into anything. There is a bumble bee fast asleep in the flower. This was about 6 pm and I was doing my usual evening rounds, checking on things, trying to find all the damage one ground hog can do, and that bee was there, not moving, the whole time I was outside. I had read something about bees eating so much they get too fat and dozy to fly home at the end of a day's work. I didn't believe it at the time but it seems that that is what happened here.
Here is another extremely active bee, flitting about on the bee balms which is just about done. So not all bees get dozy:


No comments:
Post a Comment