I mentioned in a previous blog this amazing device, the solar powered watering system. Finally, FINALLY, it arrived in the mail and now I'll rave about it with photos.
Here you can see the pots on the garage wall that have baby strawberries and the some of the tomatos I grew from seedlings. Those are more tomatos in pots on the ground. You can see a solar panel attached to the fence in the back, and a bucket with an orange lid that has water with a bit of of fertilizer dissolved into it. One black wire going into the bucket is a water level sensor that triggers an alarm if the water level gets too low, and the other is the intake, sucking up water into the device. Then, from the device, another tube runs toward the plants. Then the tube goes to a two-way splitter--one tube going on to the neighboring pot and the other into a little needle that drip drops water into the dirt.
Close up of the bucket, sensor and the intake tube with a filter to keep leaves and crud out.Close up of the solar panel--about 4" by 6".
Close up of a pot with a tube dripper going to the roots. You can just sort of see the splitter between the two pots.
Here is the back of the gadget, which has the controls. It's super easy to use. The on/off is the upper left. Once you turn it on, it stays on until you turn it off. Then you hit the hour button: do you want it to run every 12, 24, 48, 72 or 96 hours? I was worried and selected 12 hours, but that is too much. Now that the roots are soaked, I am going to back off to every 48 hours. The 'min' button is to determine how long it will run: 3, 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes. I picked 5 minutes. If I reduce the frequency, that will probably be just right. The "in" is where the tube from the bucket goes in, and the out is the tube heading off to the first plant. Running for 5 minutes uses about 1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket and waters 17 plants. So, you can do the math at this point. In theory, I could set this up to a GIANT cattle watering trough and go on a vacation for months.












No comments:
Post a Comment