Monday, August 10, 2026

Ah ha! The Mystery Vine is Slightly Less Mysterious


I found this this morning--it's about 3" tall and suspended about 4' off the ground on the vine hogging up the tomato trellises. It is definitely not a zuchini, so rule that off the list.  I'm guessing that it is an acorn squash.  And that's not impossible because I actually do like acorn squash and buy them every Fall and actually remember to cook them before they rot in the back of the fridge.  I can see about 50 odd blossoms on the vine and a few dozen TINY buds of future squashes.  Unless the ground hog develops a hunger for squash vine (so far, it hasn't touched it), we are going to be eating a LOT of acorn squash.  Unless, that is, it actually does turn into a pumpkin which will mean a LOT of pumpkin pie, bread (like zuchini bread and banana bread) and pumpkin cookies...I wonder if it's possible to make bread with acorn squash?  Because that can be frozen...Anyway, I am getting ahead of myself.  This is a long way from being a squash of any sort.

As to the ground hog, I haven't seen it in a while and (dare I write this) there hasn't been any more damage done to either the tomato or sweet potato plants.  Maybe tossing about several pounds of garlic cloves and skins actually worked?  Either than or it's found another garden with tastier goods.

No comments: