Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Chicken Coops, Chicken Runs--a lot of work for non-existent eggs

As Simon mentioned in a previous post, I am busy working out how to reorganize our yard to keep my flowers safe from chickens. They don't even eat the damn things, just pluck off the petals and toss them to the ground. I saw one walking about with a whole tulip leaf in its mouth obviously with no intention of eating it--it just did it to show me it could. So, here is the start:

I did not buy these fencing bits new but acquired them from our neighboring Grandma who wanted to get rid of an old fence running along her driveway. I went over Sunday expecting to carry home my fence pieces tucked under my arm. I did manage to pull down the fence panels, but after digging a foot deep around each post and still not being able to pull up the posts, I gave up. Simon went over a few hours later to give it a go and then came back a few minutes later to collect a pick axe. Some time later (a long time later) he came home carrying two 8 foot long posts, which had been sunk 4 feet into the ground. I am amazed he was able to remove them.  I decided to be good to myself and lopped 2 feet off each post and am only sinking them about a foot into the ground.  The wood is old enough that I feel we all need to be honest about how much we can reasonably expect this fence to do and for how long.  If it lasts 5 years, I will be very happy.
Here is one section that did not weather the dismantling experience.  No matter, I will put it together and secure the sides tomorrow (using my favorite tool: the nail gun!!).  The idea is that this set of lattice fencing will be a small winter retreat that keeps the chickens contained in serious weather. Their house--which I haven't even starting building yet--will be inside this space, too, backed up against the wall.  Since there is likely to be two feet of snow on the ground there is no reason for chickens to be wondering loose about the yard.
However on nice days, such as today, they will be allowed out of the lattice fenced area but required to stay inside the picket fence area (no, that does not yet exist), which will run all along the big green wall, from the lattice fencing over to the compost pile (their favorite place).  That way they get exercise, treats to eat off the compost pile and they can't get to my flowers or ruin grass (since none grows there anyway).  It's a win/win.
It's all very complicated and Simon doesn't even pretend to understand my plans.  He will just have to wait and see like everyone else.

No comments: