Friday, January 3, 2014

Goodbye Granny (twice)

Here is a picture of Granny passing through the barriers to the passenger-only part of Flint Airport:
After pausing for Frederick to complete his massage...

...we left to a sadly more-empty house.  But then, a couple of hours later, we got a call.  It was from a strange number (and on my cellphone because our house telephone is still out - don't get me started) so I almost didn't answer it.  Good thing I did, because it was Granny calling from the airport to say that her flight had been canceled because (essentially) it was too damn cold.  So, back we went, and Granny got to stay one more night (and cook us one last pot of soup and  maybe a couple of loaves while she was about it...)  This time she had to get to the airport at 5 AM, so it was a blearier parting, and I was too sleepy to document it, but I hope she made it home all right, especially as a REAL cold spell was chasing in to blanket the country in arctic conditions...
UPDATE: just checked email (also out since Monday - I'm in the office right now, along with both internet-starved kids) and I'll let Granny speak for herself:
"Just to let you know that I got home OK, though the first flight was an hour delayed and the second 2 1/2 hours. As it didn't stop snowing all day in Chicago, the TV news screens were filled with pictures of reporters in snowy scenes and warnings that 100 million people (can that be true?) were in the path of the snow storm heading north east, and the flight departure screens with yellow 'cancelled' notices, I spent a rather anxious day until the snow stopped and the sun came out and the Manchester flight was finally posted as On Time (a lie, but there)."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad she made it at last. What a horror! Now she can check how the storms and floods are going in the U.K. Is the power still on? It's Armaggedon here too.

xM