Monday, September 29, 2008

Call Me Crazy (or Ishmael or something, I really don't care)

I mentioned some time ago that I have been taking a mosaics class at the nearby Flint Institute of Art (FIA--NOT the Flintstitute, as Simon thinks it ought to be named) for over a year. So far, Simon's reaction to all my pieces has been lukewarm at best. I finally challenged him to think up a theme that he would admire and appreciate and, unbelievably, he said, "This!" pointing to a page from a comic book printed in 1974. (So Grandpa didn't manage to incinerate ALL his prized treasures after all!) So, after much thought (WAY too much thought) I came up with a plan to make a replication almost 4'x4' in size. Here is the piece of plexiglass on top of the pieced sections of the picture:

The above picture gives some sense of scale, but here it is, slightly closer, so you can see the image:

And here are the so far uncut pieces of glass that will produce this thing. (And I mean that literally, as it's The Thing. But I am sure some of our readers knew that already. I didn't. I, I must confess, never heard of The Thing before a month ago.)

So tonight I will get started cutting these pieces down into more manageable size (about 1/4" x 1/4") and start getting them in place. I won't bore everyone here with daily updates, but you can find out more on my other blog (woolly-thinking.blogspot.com).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Which destructive Grandpa are we talking about here? Specify. You have privileged information.

xM

The Cushanderingsons said...

Ask the man you live with about the Comics In The Hut Incident. See him cower in shame!

Jeremy said...

I can't really believe in anyone who doesn't immediately recognise the Thing. To be carefully distinguished from the Hulk, of course: you can tell easily as the Thing's hide cracks like an empty reservoir and he's bronze whereas the Hulk is, of course, green. It's part of modern American mythology. His personality is very similar to that of Spiderman, namely paradigmatic American adolescent. I am sure he will make a marvellous mosaic, especially with a few WHAMs added colourfully in.

Reference Comics in the Hut (and he's forgotten the Disposed-Of Morris Minor, otherwise known as the saga of lost Sarah) this is when the evil father cleared out the garden shed and deliberately, of malice aforethought, burned a rotting pile of old comics which then turned out to be Simon's only reason for going on living. I vividly remember when the same thing happened to me and Grandma threw away Lambie and Dolly on the grounds that I must surely have grown out of them by now? (age about 8, I think). Sarah, to throw salt into another wound, was our old car, which was parked for ages at the top of the drive after we acquired a Renault 4, then the acme of middle-class righteousness. One of my colleagues at work was going through a bad patch so we lent him Sarah. He ran her into the ground and we allowed him to dispose of her because it would have been expensive to have her towed back. What we didn't know was that Simon had been living in Sarah off and on and was desperately sad at her departure. I have to say that rather a lot of things made Simon desperately sad, including the absence of pavements (sidewalks) when we moved from London into the country ...