Wednesday, September 17, 2008

House Number Plate

I have been messing about with glass mosaicing for about a year now, and decided to replace our small, ugly house number plate with something I made up myself. Here it is:


The glass pieces are attached to plexiglass because I wanted something light, that wouldn't break and wouldn't decay in the rain and snow. As I was working, I tried to think of a way to backlight the thing once it was on our house so the glass would be illuminated (much, much prettier that way). But I couldn't figure out how it could be done. Then, when it came time to remove the old plate and attach the new one, I found this hidden behind the old number plate: a small hidey-hole, with a lightbulb wired up for illuminating a number plate! (So THAT'S what that switch in the front hallway is that we thought didn't do anything!) How's that for a coinkeedink? Now I have to find a replacement bulb and/or get an electrician to update the wiring. Here it is:

And here is the houseplate in situ. (The unpainted patch is where the old mailbox was. Now it is in the garage waiting for someone to strip 10 layers of paint off it and then rehang it.)

No comments: