Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thomas goes to college

Thomas's bassoon teacher, Dean, suggested that we enroll Thomas in a week-long Summer Camp at Central Michigan University called Bassoon Reed Making Camp. Thomas was less than thrilled with the idea, not because he did not want to learn how to make bassoon reeds-- he actually has wanted to learn how to make his own bassoon reeds for a long time as Dean has been hyping the "art" of reed making for years, telling him that, when that time comes, Thomas would get to whittle bamboo with REALLY SHARP KNIVES of his VERY OWN, a prospect that thrilled Thomas no end. What Thomas dreaded was the idea of leaving home to go to CAMP, because CAMP implies "rooming with strange kids," "fun activities," "educational opportunities" and "much more"--which is exactly what this camp is, too.
Dean spent last week working with Thomas and introducing him to his very own tools, including a blade that looks like those old strap blades barbers used to use--frighteningly deadly. For a brief, few minutes Thomas seemed actually keen to go but this morning he was squealing with fright and, as we drove closer and closer he got more and more scared. I have no idea what he thought would happen to him once we got there, but it was obviously the worst. Here is the CMU Music Building were we had to check in for camp:


Here is the lobby entrance to the building, where he had to sign in, get a camp t-shirt and decide on his elective classes as well as audition for a chair. (That is, this would settle what level bassoon music, of the many bassoon players, he would receive.)


After dealing with all that, we headed over to the dorm rooms, here, to check into his room and drop off his luggage and laptop. This is where he will eat all meals, hang out in the evenings and sleep. He will share a room with up to 3 other boys. Since we arrived early today, we were the second in the room so only one other bed was picked out. So I don't know yet if he will have only 1 other roommate or if the other two beds will get filled up, too.


Simon got him a "burner" phone with 120 minutes to call us in case of an emergency and plugged in our cell phone numbers, our work number as well as grandma's phone number. We assured him that if anything truly horrific occurred that we could be up there in 90 minutes to get him. While he was eating breakfast this morning, Simon showed him how to find the phone numbers in the 'contact' list. He nodded indifferently. Later, after we had dropped his luggage off at his dorm room we were back in the music building. Thomas was all checked in and I was free to go. I felt a bit guilty leaving, but there was no reason for me to stay. I asked him if he was ready for me to leave and he said he was ok. He was told to go "warm up" in a practice room, to get ready for his audition. I saw him walk off, looking a bit like he was going to his own execution.
About an hour later, I was driving on the M20, waiting for the I75 on-ramp and my phone rang. When I got my phone out I was alarmed when I saw that the phone call was coming from Thomas. Half-swerving out of my lane, I quickly answered it, yelling, "Hello? Thomas? What's the matter? Are you all right?" I couldn't hear anything but something that sounded like snuffling. Then Thomas said, "I'm fine." "What are you doing? Has something happened?" "No. I'm just sitting alone in a practice room. I wanted to see what you were doing." It seems Thomas had had his audition, (he felt he had done fairly well) and had become a bit bored in a practice room.
Now, about 3 hours later, my cell rings again, and it is Thomas checking in to let me know that they are having a break. He is back in his dorm room and he has about 15 minutes rest time before he is to go to dinner. I asked about roommates--still only 1 other guy (who is not there at the time--when will this mysterious Other appear?) I asked if he had had any fun yet today and he said he had. The other kids are "ok." But there are only 3 other bassoonists. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing as he didn't elaborate.
Thomas and I have talked more today on the phone that we do when we are in the same house.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Graphic about being a parent. Mystery is Thomas...

xM