Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Birthday in Chicago

[For the most recent blogs (all in August) I have altered the way I store and upload photos. If you click on the image you should be able to get a full screen- sized picture that is in focus and has all the original detail. This is especially neat with the Chicago cityscape pics below.]

For Thomas's birthday, he and I traveled by train to Chicago (it's the same time as driving and we wouldn't have to deal with either the hassle of parking the car or me getting too exhausted to deal with the drive home--Chicago's freeways have been under contruction for going on 10 years and there is no sign of them being completed anytime soon). So we got up at 6 am, trotted off to the Amtrak station (which is conveniently .6 miles from our house) and waited for our train--which was held up in Bay City because of "freight backup." Apparently it is single track only from Flint to Bay City--what century is this? Then, when we got to Kalamazoo, the train had to slow to 15 mph because of flood warnings...FINALLY got up to speed (and then some--the train must have been going 90 mph, I thought we were going to fly apart when going over roads) and arrived only 20 minutes late. And here is the famous Union Station. And so, with over $200 burning a hole in Thomas' pocket, we set out on the 1.57 mile journey to our destination, The Lego Store!
I wanted to take pictures of all the cool buildings but if I took too long "composing my shot", Thomas would be long gone when I was done. Here is an especially neat apartment building--note the cars parked right up to the edges of the lower levels. It made me slightly queasy thinking about parking my car on the edge of a 15th floor parking spot.
Here is Thomas admiring the view about 3 blocks from the store. He bet me all his money that the store wouldn't be there, would be closed, or would have moved with no forwarding address.
The view Thomas was looking at in the picture above. "Chicago! My kind of town!..."
AHHHH!!! GASP!!! SPUTTER!! THERE IT IS!!! (I just realized that Thomas never did pay up on that bet he lost--he owes me over $200!)