Friday, August 11, 2017

Bass update

Ok, so the pick ups (the things that sense the noise made by the strings) are installed. Next step is connecting the wires from the pick ups to the controls for volume, "tone" (switching from treble to bass and back) and a switch from the pair of pick ups to the back pick up), and of course the connection to the jack on the side of the bass that I plug the power cord into. Here is a schematic that tells me how to hook everything up. THe directions are close to useless ("Take out the old parts. Remember how they were connected. Connect the new parts.") I ordered the pick ups and the controls at the same time, but the controls haven't showed up yet. According to Amazon, they will show up between August 28 and Septemer 25th. This is annoying as I really wanted to get this done before the Fall semester started, because once that starts, I won't have time for farting around with solder--which I dread. Here is the space that will hold the controls: This has been a very educational experience. And like all educational experiences, it has been frustrating, confusing, stressful and rewarding.

No comments: