Monday, December 27, 2010

Boston!

Well, as a blizzard hits the East Coast and thousands of flights are canceled, I set out merrily to interview people in a hotel in Boston for a job teaching Philosophy at Flint. Sadly, my flight was not among those canceled, but as we were landing in what I would characterize as SEVERE turbulence in Boston I very much wished it had been. But here I am, sitting in the Lobby of the Westin in Boston (because they charge you ten bucks a day for internet in your room, but it's free in the Lobby - explain that to me) updating you on my exploits. I hope you appreciate it.
The trip was a strange one: a tiny 'plane took me from Flint to Milwaukee (which, the astute among you will realize is in the wrong direction) and then a slightly larger 'plane, which charged for EVERYTHING ($20 to check on bags, $8 to watch a six-month-old film on a 5 inch seat-back screen, God knows what for anything to eat) carried us into the heart of the tempest.
Here you see the view out of the window from the luggage carousel at Logan Airport in Boston, and the explanation for the turbulence.

As I took this, the wind was literally howling at earsplitting levels.

Fortunately there are hamster tunnels everywhere, so once inside you never need exit, and I took this photo from one of them. Tomorrow I will be interviewing sweaty Philosophy Graduate students from 9 AM until 4:30 at half-hour intervals. Joy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Phew! Was it better out or in?

xM

Grandma said...

Yoshi sure has a lot more fun than I do! The music chosen for the shipwreck was awesome.