Tuesday, September 24, 2024

I went to a concert!

 Specifically, this one.  Pretty sure this is the first one I've been to since the mid-90s.  And you know what?  It was great!  The venue was an actual amphitheater, so it was nice that it was cooler than it has been but not too cool.  And I wasn't the oldest person there by a long shot (although I didn't see many solo people - a lot more families with young kids - only some of whom were wearing ear protection, so the rest will be deaf in their 30s (I took advantage of the $2 ear plugs somebody was hawking and am glad I did)).  Clearly the appeal of Vampire Weekend transcends generations.  (It was a total accident that I heard about it - I actually read the billboard below when I was doing my most recent Whole Foods/Trader Joe run and thought why not?

They put on a great show: they started with just guitar/bass/drums in front of a huge backdrop and did three of their earliest songs before the backdrop came down revealing a much bigger band (2 drummers, another guitarist, a keyboardist, a violinist and a saxophone player) that did the rest of the set.  Then for the encore they took requests specifically for other people's music from the audience, hence the weird selection, before finishing with probably my favorite song.  Then it was a race to get out of the parking lot before it became hopelessly jammed.








Sidenote: the bass player is the true star.  He appears to believe that instead of being in an effete indie band he is in fact in Napalm Death and acts accordingly.  Legend!

No comments: