Thursday, October 22, 2015

Spend to save (or: another Zojirushi gadget!)

Backstory: First, Frederick eats a lot of chickpeas.  We're talking more than a can a day some days.  And as cans are (a) expensive and (b) full of sodium, I decided to give dried chickpeas a go.  Second, I have discovered that I have an arthritic toe.  ("Not to worry," says my doctor brightly, "I know somebody in Flint who does big toe joint replacements!")  So, third, I have decided, on Jami's urging, to give gluten free a try, as she swears it cured her arthritic vertebra, if only just to prove that it doesn't work for me.  (Unfortunately, it seems to be helping.)  Since I can't eat any bread, I need to find a replacement, and the obvious candidate is rice.  So, long story short, it would be good to have something that both makes rice and cooks chickpeas.  I know: a ricemaker!

Here it is.  We have owned one before (can't remember why we got rid of it - what fools we were) and it was also Zojirushi, the maker of both our bread machines as well.  (Look for the little elephant, the mark of quality Japanese workpersonship.)
Does that really say "Neuro Fuzzy"?
Yes, apparently it does.  God knows why.  Anyway, I got it last week and it has been running pretty much non-stop.  Not only does it make perfect rice (overnight if you like), it makes perfect chickpeas and perfect steel-cut oatmeal for breakfast.  Yum.

1 comment: