Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Canada's National Bird



I have heard a million tales about the mighty Canadian mosquito and blackfly, but I had always dismissed them as hyperbolic travel lore--until now. From sun up until sun down, these little beasts bite and chew, sting and stab, and slowly drive a person insane. (Simon displays a leg being stung by three mosquitoes.) I have no idea how the locals can live through the summer months. (Which is, admittedly, short. It wasn't unusual to see people with neatly stacked and covered wood piles larger than our two-car garage ready and waiting for the oncoming winter months.) We spent at least $75 on products (creams, sprays, gels, and candles--some of which are displayed here) to repel and, when that failed, to ease the unending itching. But all in vain. By the time we got to the U.S. border in Minnesota we all looked like we had been scraped with cheese graters. And yet we are already planning a return visit next summer!

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

That thing is a leg?

I recently did some fencing in the garden and soon became aware that in the bank I was putting a fence up along there was a hole, out of which came every two or three seconds a wasp. And similar numbers went back in again. So for several days I was working in a sort of cloud of wasps. Not one took the slightest interest in me. I think they know when you're intimidated and take advantage. You have to think positively and they will leave you alone.